Friday, January 03, 2014

Aweekstweets December 20 2013 to January 3 2014: the week I crammed in two holidays

Whew! Wrote my first quick-hit for the new year. Brain's a bit rusty. Feels like a bit of deja vu. Hmmm.

Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble "Cold Shot" (http://ow.ly/sfH8x ) JK--Dedicated to northern tier of North America tonight. Cuddle up!

RT @kexpplaylist #kexp Bright Lights by Gary Clark, Jr. from HWUL Raw Cuts, Vol. 1 JK--Great blues-rock burner. Reminds me of classic Cream.

@HeathDHavlick I only go out to scrape my car.

@merv Thanks Merv!

@PierreCPA Central banks socialize gains by contributing to public confidence in currency, hence boosting econ growth. Losses always private

@PierreCPA You're confusing value (return on capital/liquidity) with the risks of managing that capital/liquidity.

RT @kexpplaylist #kexp Over and Over Again (Lost and Found) by Clap Your Hands Say Yeah JK--2005. A mewled lyric over a spiraling melody.

@HeathDHavlick You enjoy sunburn? Name me a place on the planet where climatic conditions are always ideal for exposed human flesh.

@HeathDHavlick Move to what?

@PierreCPA That's ridiculous. Bankers sustain the flow of liquidity in the economy, which creates value. Go back to Econ 101.

Lots of fun scraping ice from my car in a stiff wind at 23 degree fahrenheit. I can't feel my hands, they're so numb.

Join #CXO chat Mon 12 ET! The Matter of #Loyalty w/ @maldyj http://on.fb.me/1i1JKGT  #custserv #cem I'm on it!

"#BigData Variety Means Metadata Matters" (http://ow.ly/sf0Fn ) JK--Edd Dumbill dissects reasons: discoverability, usability, provenance.

"#BigData sets available for free" (http://ow.ly/sf0mg ) JK--Good quick-list from Vincent Granville.

"What’s th point o Bitcoin again?" (http://ow.ly/seZSw ) JK--David Meyer beautifully dissects reasons why I too am uneasy with this mania

RT @kexpplaylist #kexp Co'dine by Buffy Sainte-Marie from It's My Way JK--1964. Debut LP. Otherworldly warble from Cree singer-songwriter

RT @kexpplaylist #kexp Mean Streets by Tennis from Small Sound JK--2013. Denver indie-pop group with warm soulful latte vibe.

RT @kexpplaylist #kexp Subtle by Active Child from Rapor EP JK--2013. Great upbeat soul with a retro-synth vibe.

RT @kexpplaylist #kexp How Can You Mend A Broken Heart by The Bee Gees from Ultimate BGs JK--1971. Sterling example of their pre-disco style

Thin hard icy crust of rough walkable overnight snowfall out front. Unshovelable. But the next best thing to bare concrete.


WashPost: "NSA aims to crack most online codes." How exactly is this news to anybody even vaguely familiar with NSA's statutory charter?

RT @kexpplaylist #kexp Merry Go Round by Kacey Musgraves from Same Trailer Different Park JK--2013. Pretty oldschool country song w/pathos


In response to your many inquiries, here's a link to current data-scientist job listings at #IBM: http://ow.ly/sduJ2 

RT @kexpplaylist #kexp Heartbroken, in Disrepair by Dan Auerbach frm Keep It Hid JK--Righteous guitar work from Robert Quine's second cousin

"Denver: The Next Silicon Valley?" (http://ow.ly/sdexq ) JK--I suspect theyll have hard time keeping productivity high after smoke breaks

"Extracting right variables for your Regression model" (http://ow.ly/sd9XU ) JK--Good overview. A core data-scientist skill.

"Designing for Exponential Trends of 2014" (http://ow.ly/sd9nZ ) JK--Excellent list of disruptive tech trends in world culture at large

RT @kexpplaylist #kexp Bridge to Hawaii by TacocaT from NVM JK--2014. Cool pop indie rock outfit. Pronounces palindromic name "taco cat."

"#BigData biggest challnges" (http://ow.ly/sd6L1 ) JK--"Puppies R free but U still hav 2 feed em." OK. Metaphoricly, wot's big data poop?

Catch me speaking at RSA Security Conf on Wed Feb 26 on #bigdata role in securing Internet of Things. Moscone Center, San Fransiskey.

RT @kexpplaylist #kexp Ghouls by Wooden Shjips from Back to Land JK--2013. Excellent specimen of this group's revived neo-psychedelia

RT @kexpplaylist #kexp Boys Don't Cry by The Cure JK--I love how Robert Smith vocalizes 3-syllable title as 3 flat distinct elongated notes

"Scaling and querying large NoSQL databases" (http://ow.ly/sd4ZY ) JK--Discusses role of sharding in enabling shared-nothing NoSQL MPP

"A Clearing Picture of the Internet of Things" (http://ow.ly/sd3rr ) JK--Good discussion of architecture & topology of IoT.

"Never, ever do this to #Hadoop" (http://ow.ly/sd2sJ ) JK--Mr. Hadoop, he get mighty touchy about storage locality, if U know what I mean

"Are You a Scientific Data Artist or Artistic Data Scientist?" (http://ow.ly/sd0pj ) JK--Or a Data Artiste who models existential angst?

"The Computational Theory of Mind" (http://ow.ly/scZQX ) JK--Textbook-calibre in-depth discussion of the topic. Very cool.

RT @kexpplaylist #kexp Cecil Taylor by Jonathan Wilson from Fanfare JK--2013. Very nice. Reminds of the best of Crosby, Stills, & Nash.

Dumb to call Turing "the father o modern computing." Gender-biased, for starters, & overlooks Babbage, Lovelace, Von Neumann, Eckert, Hopper

RT @kexpplaylist #kexp Policy of Truth by Depeche Mode JK--"Never again is what you swore the time before." New year resolution reality chek

RT @graemeknows: What @jameskobielus's tea leaves foretell for big data in 2014 http://ibm.co/1cKo54N 

New #IBM jk blogpost: "What Koby's tea leaves foretell for #bigdata in 2014" (http://ow.ly/scSB1 )

Which came first: the dinosaur from which chickens evolved or the egg from which that chicken ancestor hatched?

Pleasant enough holiday break. Nice to be back in the groove of work. A new year licks my toes like the sea at ebb tide.

Watching "Frances Ha." A young woman's adventures in urban awkwardness. Greta Gerwig plays Frances as if Woody Allen had played Annie Hall

New Year's resolution is to change the channel in fitness-club men's locker room whenever on Fox News. Executed plan flawlessly on Day One

RT @stevesilberman: If you missed it: GOP claims of millions losing coverage under Obamacare turns out to be a hype. http://wapo.st/Kl1D7x 

"Which Came First: The Human or the Algorithm? (http://blogs.hbr.org/2013/12/which-came-first-the-human-or-the-algorithm/ …) JK--Expert feedforward improves model perf, feedback dilutes perf

Did our thorough New Year's Day housecleaning. Always good to start the year by purging the clutter of the one now gone.

I'd characterize most year-end lists as journalists pretending their personal tastes define the zeitgeist.

@mjcavaretta They haven't asked for a follow-up, so there hasn't been.

John Grant "GMF" (http://ow.ly/sbtx8 ). My favorite song of 2013. I prefer this unexpurgated "MF" version to sanitized "living creatures"

RT @kexpplaylist #kexp Dog Faced Boy by Eels from Souljacker JK--Mark Everett has a great gritty voice. But not gnarly. Excellent diction

Got a good full-body massage to close out the old year. Plenty of residual kinks, knots, & gnarls to press & knead out of my system.

Girl's college laptop finally bit dust but got her thru all 4 years. Buying her shiny new one. Belated Xmas gift. New computing year cometh

Tired of being told something will "change my life." Give me something to brighten my day and my life will take care of itself.

My favorite! Dilbert Creator Scott Adams Presents His 10 Favorite Strips http://www.businessinsider.com/scott-adams-favorite-dilbert-comics-2013-10 …

I try not to think too hard about the year ahead. The thinking will come as the year reveals itself.

Facebook should allow us to put a "mind yer beezwax" block on those intrusive prying "when/why did you do this?" profile-fleshing questions

Washington football franchise sacks coach. Rebuilding process must also include sacking owner and team name. And issuing apology for latter

My New Year's resolution is always to resolve as many loose threads as possible in the year gone by. Don't need to pay that pressure forward

Blessings metric o happiness. You feel happier when U actually count em. Fulfillment is in silent self-enumeration. Better than rosary beads

Reading Gleick's bio of Isaac Newton. Was first data scientist. Invented new math as backbone of quantitative model of universal gravitation

Themes more salient in 2013 in my thought ldrshp than in previous years: data science, Internet of Things, Big Media, cust experience optzn

@metabrown312 Larger philosophical question: Why should I care whether me getting my preferred ambience serves anybody's interest but mine?

Most of the people we know are sending email with the exact same subject line: "Fwd: WOW." That rates a "WOW" in my book. [click]

@metabrown312 It would increase our staying time and encourage us to buy more coffee etc. And to say nice things, so others do likewise.

Long-tail analysis of Redbox transactions would probably reveal no one has ever rented th DVD of Mike Myers' "So I Married An Axe Murderer."

Jim Carrey. I've long suspected that his jaw unhinges like a snake and that he can wrap his body around victims like a boa constrictor.

Watching CNBC. Only cable channel that runs infomercials 24x7. Currently: marathon programming on sexy, beautiful, healthy hair with bounce

Watching Guy Fieri & Brooke Shields make fish tacos over barbecue. The kind o basic-cable programming I only watch when I'm not doin' nuthin

Saturday feels like Sunday. I'm sure Sunday will not feel like Monday. It'll feel like Saturday. Which will feel like Sunday. Ah...time off.

Caroline's girls know 2 leave Unca Jim undisturbed on the sofa with snacks, wine, laptop, & several remote controls @ his disposal. I'm king

Reading conflicting year-end reviews. "Wolf of Wall Street" is either one of the year's best, sucks majorly, or is sorta OK. Hmmmmm

Hanging with friends Caroline and Stuart in southern New Jersey, right outside Philly. I always enjoy crossing the Delaware Memorial Bridge

RIP Paul Blair. If you switch his first consonants, he was "Baul Plair." Orioles star centerfielder. Paul Blair was indeed a ball player.

Best excerpt from this week's letters to the editor of the WashPost: "personally, I admire Beyonce's cleavage, perhaps because I am male."

Washington Post's Saturday "free for all" letters to the editor. This week, irate readers comment on Post's paragraph indentation policies.

If George Lucas had directed the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy, the part of Gollum would have been played by a long-unemployed Jar Jar Binks.

Artisanal. Every time I see that prissy adjective, the inner Gollum springs out of me and hisses "PRECIOUSSSSSS!!!!"

Every morning is a smorgasbord of physical & virtual news sources on my breakfast table. I love my newspapers. I also love my tablet.

Magazine inertia. Metric o poor fitness-club mgmt. Same stupid mag's been lying on floor 4 several days. I myself had 2 move it. #ineptitude

What I remember about a speaking engagement was whether the organizer made an attempt to socialize with me. If they didn't, I won't return.

@paul_houle Really? 1000 channels and there's nothing on? I think they should stick daily comic strips in the interactive program guides.

@paul_houle Specifically?

Plenty of good films out this year. So why do all the local Redboxes seem to stock nothing but crap I don't want to see?

Facebook's "people you may know" hasn't suggested a single person I actually know in several weeks. Needs "admit we're clueless" algorithm

@dphochman Who's "overwhelmed"? What's with the "admits" and the "embargo"? And I tweeted the thought. Don't blog it. Not worth a blog.

I refuse 2 read any article that refers 2 Affordable Care Act by any other name. Using common nickname shows U have ideological axe 2 grind

RT @kexpplaylist #kexp Cured Of Youth by Tennis from Small Sound JK--2013. New EP. This Denver-based group has great positive powerpop sound

RT @kexpplaylist #kexp Man I Need by Jagwar Ma from Howlin JK--2013. One of my fave LPs of year. Must acquire this. Debut from Australians.

When my #bigdata predictions blog posts on Jan 2, you'll see I comment as much on the process of making predXns as on the predXns themselves

From my analyst days, I have several items of winter apparel from tradeshows with logos of companies now my competitors. Worn in stealth.

Years end much as they begin: days grow longer. For me personally, that's always a positive sign. Illumination is ever-waxing.

Sat thru the interminably long, boring, confusing "The Hobbit." Not sure why I did. Could have ejected the DVD & slept in bed, not on sofa

Boxing Day at mall. Wave of returns is like tsunami's return flow to the ocean. BTW, today is the 9th anniversary of Indian Ocean disaster

I find that same people who claim that "life was simpler back in the day" also tend 2 believe privacy was safeguarded & people more moral

I don't post to any social medium unless thru a tool that allows me to seamlessly auto-post it also to my Facebook. My master aggreg site

I find my handwritten annotations & indices o family photos, videotapes, & movies as valuable as the images. Contextualized memory & history

Um, let's see: South Sudan, which recently broke off from Sudan after a civil war, is itself experiencing civil war. Ummm, OK.

May or may not visit friends in Philly/NJ today. Wife more nervous about I-95 holiday traffic than me. As long as restrooms near, I'm cool

Cant read article ostensibly about #bigdata w/out vetting whether that's so. NYTimes misfired yesterday. Just stat analysis @ ordinary scale

Christmas on Facebook. Everybody's following everybody else's gift-openings & dinner/drinks/TV festivities. Who's the merriest of them all?

Watching Xmas show rerun of "Dobie Gillis." Dobie was Richie Cunningham to Maynard G. Krebs' Fonz. The main character eclipsed by th popular

Reading Gleick's bio of Isaac Newton. Xmas is Newton birthday, btw (old calendar). Death mask shows Newton resembled Sting, IMHO.

We have a humdrum bunch of activities planned for the Xmas break. That's fine with me. Already did our big overseas vacation in mid-December

Remember that string of years when the media felt it had to mention "Kwanzaa" in the same breath as Christmas & Hanukkah? Me neither.

Waited till "The Shining" over & Nicholson's familycidal character got his just deserts to tell my girls some people think I resemble actor

Jeff Bezos' Amazon-delivery drone must've gotten drunk & crashed into Santa's sleigh last night. Heard loud bang around midnight.

Girls & I spending this Christmas morning doing th ritual family phoning & skyping. Afternoon dinner at Tom & Donna's place. Typical holiday

Reading the year-end reviews of the Oscar crop. I only went to a movie theatre one this past year. Complimentary sneak preview of "Nebraska"

Cold calm sunny Christmas morning. The girls are still sleeping. Egidia plans to make pancakes with berries. I will break my fast for those

Happy Boxing Day Eve! Keep all your gifts in their boxes under the tree so you can grab them 1st thing tomorrow for fast & joyous returns!

Saw "The Shining" (1980) with my girls. Daughter, born 1990, doesn't get the "Here's Johnny" reference. Her immigrant mom doesn't either.

Put a Christmas CD in the big living room player I bought in 1994. Why does it feel like I'm cranking up th old Victrola? Bing Crosby croons

Stores are packed, roads snarled, & people are totally insane. All the rushing, honking, & cursing. Seriously, I cant stand Christmas crowds

RT @kexpplaylist #kexp Wish You a Merry Christmas by Jacob Miller from Natty Christmas JK--Reggae carol: "We wish you an irie Christmas."

It's not my country but perhaps Elizabeth II should give posthumous pardon to every gay person in UK whose life was destroyed legally pre-67

RT @kexpplaylist #kexp Joan of Arc by Arcade Fire from Reflektor JK--About time somebody gave Noah's wife her props.

RT @kexpplaylist #kexp Christmas At The Airport by Nick Lowe from Quality Street JK--2013. "Jesus of Cool" musically ponders Yule in transit

"3 Types of Machine Learning Classifiers in the EEG Analysis Context" (http://ow.ly/s2EZz ) JK--Crisp, fuzzy/probabilistic, possibilistic

"Data Sci & Prediction" (http://ow.ly/s2EMU ) JK--"#BigData makes feasibl 4 machine 2 ask/valid8 interesting Qs humans might not considr"

RT @kexpplaylist #kexp Christmas Wrapping by Th Waitresses JK--Songwriter CButler told me this NOT his biggest earner. Quoth: "in my dreams"

RT @kexpplaylist #kexp Angles We Have Heard on High by Dina Martina JK--1999. People will scream at U: "TURN OFF THAT CRAP NOW!"

"Do We Want an Erasable Internet?" (http://ow.ly/s2DVt ) JK--Already have it. The vast majority of data created gets purged & goes dark.

"Next up: Humans, systems team in cognitive computing" (http://ow.ly/s2DP2 ) JK--Each deepens the other's learning. #IBM #Watson

RT @kexpplaylist #kexp I Don't Believe in Christmas by The Sonics JK--Good, but, ummm, derivative of CBerry "Too Much Monkey Business"

Hey you who "invite" me to stuff "at discount." That's a solicitation, not an invitation. A true invitation = solicitation at 100% discount

RT @kexpplaylist #kexp Christmas at the Zoo by The Flaming Lips JK--1995. Proof that Xmas been parsed in song from every conceivable angle

RT @kexpplaylist #kexp I Want You For Christmas by Mae Questal from I Want You For Christmas JK--1937. The voice of Betty Boop & Olive Oyl.

RT @kexpplaylist #kexp The Blizzard by Camera Obscura from The Blizzard / Swans JK--Very nice. Many of theirs are country western based.

RT @kexpplaylist #kexp Skating by Vince Guaraldi from A Charlie Brown Christmas JK--This lite-jazz instrumental beautîfully established mood

RT @kexpplaylist #kexp Outer Space Santa by The Lennon Sisters JK--I'm old & dorky enough 2 remember they used 2 B regulars on Lawrence Welk

Exactly what did they put in the tots' eggnog that caused pre-pubescents of the early 19th century to dream "visions of sugarplums"?

"Made in #IBM Labs: Adv Privacy/Security in Cloud" (http://ow.ly/s206z ) JK--Fully homomorphic encryption: introspect data w/out decrypt

I feel especially special when I'm one of the recipients of message addressed to "undisclosed recipients." Like high-society masquerade ball

Quick-hits, blogs, articles, podcasts, etc. 383 distinct thought-leadership outputs. Making 2013 far & away the most productive of my career

New blogpost: "Koby's 2013 #IBM #BigData Thought Leadership LinkedIn Quick-Hits" (http://ow.ly/s1TrT )

New blogpost: "Koby's 2013 #IBM #BigData Thought Leadership Blogs, Articles, Podcasts Etc. (Excl Q-Hs)" (http://ow.ly/s1TmX )

New #IBM jk #Dataversity article: "Open Data Graphs Can Boost the Global Economy" (http://ow.ly/s1QwZ )

New #IBM jk #AnalyzingMedia article: "The Aromatic Ambience of Customer Experience" (http://ow.ly/s1QnJ )

"Duck Dynasty"? I'm not even sure what that is. ZZ Top tribute band? New Chinese take-out down at the strip mall?

Santa's race. Since he's fictional, I suggest fictional race. Perhaps Vulcan, Tralfamadorean, or albino Smurf.

@thatjeffsmith Right. And Forbes reminds me that I never cared for Ronald Reagan.

RT @kexpplaylist #kexp The Christmas Song by The Raveonettes from Maybe This Christmas Tree JK--Good one in one of their hushed vibes.

"All we are is dust in the wind." But what if it's gold dust in the winds of change? Then we're not in Kansas anymore.

Just saw the phrase "climate deniers." Of necessity they must also be atmosphere deniers. The blue of the daytime sky is color of the cosmos

Pushing 70 on the first day of winter. The Almighty in His infinite jest will probably grace us with Snowmageddon on June 21.

Putin releases Pussy Riot & a plutocrat. Perhaps if Russia had a neverending Olympics, they'd guiltily give all citizens civil liberties

It's become a new urban cliche. Female professional experiences midlife crisis. Goes into business for self selling artisanal cupcakes

@Neil_199 To anybody who's hiring data scientists.

WSJ article on retirement-income strategies. Some people budget $40,000/year for "golf related travel"? Do they bring a caddy & golfcart?

Settling into the deep darkness of this longest night of the year. A dark red wine delivers the right note of dreaminess. I'm at home.


Keeping our Christmas real minimal. Just the tree & trimmings around fireplace. Keeping the music minimal too. Devotionals on public radio