Monday, September 08, 2008

My take on the first Seinfeld-Gates commercial for Microsoft

All:

I like it.

I like the emptiness of it--just two super-rich super-famous guys in their 50s in an aggressively fake situation.

And I like the anti-punchline, per Seinfeld: “Give me a signal--adjust your shorts.” [Gates squinches buttocks in baggy pants as they walk side-by-side, viewed from behind] “I knew it!”

Neither of these guys is trying to seem even remotely hip, and I actually like that. I don’t know about anybody else, but what I love most about the Apple commercials is John Hodgman as the faux Gates. Whereas Justin Long as the faux Jobs--I just want to push a grapefruit in his smug mug--sorry, true feeling there.

Re the Seinfeld commercial (first of a series I suppose), notice how Gates now looks his age, but Seinfeld, though two years older than the software mogul, looks at least 10 years younger. I wonder which one of them works out.

Also notice how essentially mute Gates is in the commercial--but how he and Jerry make an odd funny level of eye contact in the shoe store. That was interesting.

You can view it at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz6amk3P-hY

This one’s actually worth repeated viewings. Within reason.

Hey, I’m a dork, I admit it. I loved Microsoft Bob too.

By the way, at a minute-and-a-half, it will undoubtedly re-run in tightly edited format (hmmm..."tight"). With that in mind, my suggestions to the editors (in sequence):

--Seinfeld: "Shoe Circus...Bill Gates"
--Seinfeld/Gates: "Is that your toe?" "It's leather." [that eye contact]
--Seinfeld/Gates: "Ever wear clothes in the shower, Bill?" "Never" "You're dressed and you're clean."
--Seinfeld: "Guess what Bill, you're a 10."
--Gates: "Platinum!"
--Seinfeld: "Magnum Jupiter brain...."
--Seinfeld: “Give me a signal--adjust your shorts.” [Gates squinches buttocks in baggy pants as they walk side-by-side, viewed from behind] “I knew it!”

That's easily the dorkiest concentrated take-away from this commercial. Compressed into 30 seconds.

A little editing can make a world of difference.

Jim